Mysteries can be fun! Who didn’t love watching Scooby-Doo (even the live action one, which surprisingly holds up!) back in the day, or trying to figure out who your secret admirer is?
Take the mystery out of your energy bill
There are many fun mysteries. But, “Why is my energy bill so high?” is not one of those fun mysteries. Mostly because there is no fun answer – like the white mystery Airheads, where every answer is fun! – instead typically boiling down to “you used too much energy” or “your rates are too high” or “there are a ton of hidden fees in here.”
If you don’t know what to look for in an energy company, you’re probably getting a bad deal on your energy bill, whether it’s hidden fees, high rates, misleading advertising or just generally high usage. Luckily, your friendly neighborhood energy company/charismatic blog presence Pogo Energy is here to save the day! Here’s some actual advice on how to lower your energy bill.
1: Reduce Your Energy Usage
There’s no shortage of different tips out there for reducing your energy usage, ranging from “yeah, I could do that” (unplugging things you’re not using!) to “who do you think I am, Scrooge McDuck?” (outfitting your home with solar panels).
With that in mind, though, lower overall usage will almost always lead to lower bills. The one exception would probably be if you fall into one of those scam “free nights and weekends” plans and your usage all falls during the daytime. But we digress.
The one big thing you can do to save money on your energy bill is by doing all the small things that play into reducing your energy usage. Like these!
- Instead of blasting the heat or air conditioning, open windows when it’s nice outside! Not only does it save you energy and give you a nice little breeze, but it’s scientifically proven to improve your mood!
- As mentioned above, unplug things you’re not using! It may not seem like much, but unplugging idle devices can save as much as $200 per year in many cases.
- Turn off your lights, too! Leaving lights on when you’re not in the room is wasteful and takes up a big chunk of your energy bill.
- Wash your clothes on cold! You should probably be doing this anyways, since it can extend the life of your clothes, but it also uses a lot less energy and can save you roughly $60 per year. That’s $5 per month, which is basically “yeah I know guac is extra” cashflow.
- Change your light bulbs! There’s some up-front investment here, obviously, but you’ll make that back and then some, to the tune of $200 of savings per year.
- Invest in a smart thermostat! Brands like Nest and Ecobee are very popular, and while there’s also an up-front cost for these, they can help you save money on your energy bill in the long run, roughly $140 per year.
If you do all of those things (and you’re great, so why not?), that all adds up to $600 of energy savings per year – and that’s without having a good estimate on the impact of opening windows or turning off lights.
2: Switch to Pogo
Switching to Pogo Energy is one of the easiest things you’ll ever do – seriously, it takes five minutes – and it’ll save you $254 per year on your energy bills.
Our pay-as-you-go electricity model puts you in charge, and our daily text alerts can let you know when you’re being wasteful or using too much energy. But beyond that, there’s another huge way we can save you money compared to the other guys: we don’t have any hidden fees – or connect/disconnect fees!
Texans already pay way too many hidden fees each year, and the Power To Choose site isn’t doing enough to halt that practice. Our Pogo Promise is that we’ll never engage in those practices. No hidden fees ever. Other guys will charge you all kinds of fees – connection fees, disconnection fees, low balance fees, reconnection fees, “today is Tuesday” fees, “you posted an Instagram photo of latte art” fees, pretty much anything they can think of.
That means that, with the other guys, you’re not just paying for your usage – you’re paying for their whims and rules, too. Beyond that, you’re probably paying to hurt the environment. That’s why, in addition to never charging hidden fees, we’re committed to only providing 100% sustainable energy.
Plus, unlike going with one of the other guys (which you shouldn’t do) or buying a bunch of LED bulbs (which you probably should!), there’s no upfront cost with us. No deposit, just load up your account and get started. We’ll even give you the first three days for free!
If that somehow isn’t enough to convince you, we’re also introducing Pogo Rewards! Our customers get Reward Dollars every month and daily gift card giveaways, putting even more money in your pocket instead of going to some energy executive with seven vacation houses.
3: Do BOTH of those things
Okay, so this isn’t really *another* thing, but the logic here works, right? If you reduce your usage, you’ll save money. If you switch to Pogo, you’ll save money. If you reduce your usage AND switch to Pogo, you’ll save even more money.
Adding together the $600 per year from reducing your usage and the $387 per year from our rates, you’re looking at *frantically pounds calculator keys* $900 per year, which is pretty darn good.
But here’s the kicker: reducing your energy usage is even easier when you’re with Pogo Energy. Our daily text alerts and pay-as-you-go setup will let you know if you’re using more energy than you planned on. Plus, you get the peace of mind of knowing that you’ll never get charged a hidden fee.
Roll with us, and you’ll never have another bad surprise from your energy company. Just good surprises in your bank account. It’s a no-brainer, right?