Everything You Need To Know About Prepaid Electricity in Texas
Prepaid electricity in Texas came to the for the deregulation of the retail electricity sector in Texas has afforded consumers the opportunity to choose preferred providers and service plans that meet their needs. Away from the traditional postpaid service plan where utility bills are sent at the end of the billing cycle every month, we now have more convenient fixed-rate plans like prepaid electricity service. Prepaid power is a hassle-free electricity plan that lets users pay for the service up-front. The rewards of prepaid electricity services include reliable electricity with no long term commitments, no deposit, and no credit checks.
How prepaid electricity works
Establishing and servicing a prepaid service account is easy. The provider will request you to set up an account and top it up. Here is how the plan works, according to Electricity Plan:
- Find a suitable prepaid electricity service provider and plan. There are a number of online tools that can help you with plan comparisons.
- Pick a prepaid plan that works for you and sign up. You can do so by enrolling online or calling from the comfort of your home.
- Put money in your account – some companies have a required limit. With some service providers like Pogo Energy, you can get started with as little as $20. With Pogo Energy, this $20 goes straight toward your lights bill and is not a deposit we hold on to and then ask for more money to get your lights working. However, with most other electricity companies who do charge a deposit, that initial deposit fee may also include an additional connection fee, which is usually not more than $75 (which Pogo Energy does NOT charge), and if you’re not careful you might end up with a $95 initial start fee before your lights are even switched on. With Pogo Energy, we say $20 because it really is just $20 to get your lights turned on.
- Once the service is approved and your lights are turned on, you can track your energy consumption through online tools provided by your electric company. The prepaid power provider will also offer you information about the service and updates regarding your energy consumption and remaining balance. When your account balance is getting low, the provider will send alerts to keep you informed about the balance so you can avoid unwarranted disconnections. With Pogo Energy, we’ve got your back and we will never turn your lights off on weekends or holidays. Also, we all need a little help sometimes which is why Pogo has a no strings attached Deferred Payment Plan, or DPP, for all customers should they need it.
- If you have any questions or concerns, you can always call your power provider’s customer service desk for assistance. For your personal convenience, the service providers will list different ways to add money into your account. The most popular methods include the use of an authorized payment assistant and online payments. With Pogo Energy, you can pay by cash or card, and we have an auto-pay option you can also use so you don’t have to worry about charging up your account.
Is a prepaid service plan right for you?
Using prepaid plans gives you the opportunity to consume electricity in a smart, affordable and convenient way. This is largely because you have control over what you use and pay. For instance, you can choose prepaid lights to save energy cost. The other smart thing is that your regular payments can go towards building your credit. As an added incentive, some electricity providers based in Texas offer customers an opportunity to transition from the prepaid setup to the traditional postpaid plan without requesting an additional deposit. However, customers must first qualify. One of the strings is maintaining a prepaid account for a given duration of time. Before choosing prepaid electricity, it is important to establish if the service is right for you. According to a statement by the Public Utility Commission of Texas, the following considerations are critical:
- Do you prefer to pay as you go plan as espoused by prepaid providers?
- Do you prefer a utility service where you do not need to pay a deposit?
- Would you rather not receive monthly paper bills?
- Are you looking to split your bill with roommates?
- Do you want a service plan that lets you monitor and curtail your energy consumption?
If your answer to all or some of the above questions is yes, then prepaid lights or general electric service may just be what you need.
Service pricing and payment deferment situations
Due to industry dynamics, every Retail Electricity Provider (REP) charges different amounts per kWh spent. A vast majority of prepaid services are charged as either index rated or variable products. This means the kWh can change depending on the fluctuating energy-price and other defining factors. While signing for prepaid electric service, it is important to recognize that continued electricity service is tied to making timely, advance payments. However, certain circumstances, like extreme weather and state disasters, may force the utility company to defer payments.
Extreme weather alerts and advisories are usually announced by the National Weather Service after careful analysis of the situation. State governors and Public Utility Commissions can also declare a state of disaster based on their own internal assessments. This kind of communication can force a Retail Electric Provider to defer payments to the affected customers. Lastly, under billing can also push REP’s to have an account entered into a deferred payment plan, but such cases are quite rare. Using the caution, the REP may activate the switch hold as a strategy to enforce payment. The hold may lock the account until the full payment is received.
What Pogo Energy can do for you!
Pogo Energy is the leading pay-as-you-go electricity service provider in Texas. Some of the benefits of choosing our service include total control over your power, great savings, and hassle-free service. To control your power consumption, Pogo Energy offers power usage information and daily account updates. Pogo customers also can recharge their accounts whenever they want.
The hassle-free service means no deposit or credit checks and a free hand to cancel the service at any time with zero risks. Consumers also enjoy the first 3 days of electricity free. Pogo Energy supplies 100% renewable energy from wind and solar, which makes it possible for households to save up to $387 annually. Customers have a lot of good things to say about Pogo Energy – go ahead, check out our 5-star reviews!