What to Ask a Prepaid Energy Provider Before You Sign Up?
You use prepaid, no-contract cell phone service, pay ahead for gas at the pump and your movie tickets. So, why shouldn’t you have the same flexibility and freedom when it comes to your energy bill?
With a prepaid energy plan from Pogo Energy, you pay only for the energy you use. Just like your cell phone data plan, prepaid electricity plans let you monitor your usage and know exactly how much you have left. With Pogo, they also make it easy to recharge your account when it gets low either online, with cash or on the phone, quickly and easily. Can you say that for any of the big energy providers?
Flipping the Switch to a Prepaid Plan
If you’re making the switch to a prepaid electricity plan with Pogo Energy, you’re going to like these perks:
- Sign up in under 60 seconds, no credit check required just charge up and go
- No deposit that you have to wait a year to get it back
- There’s no paperwork and Pogo doesn’t have any sort of cancellation fees so you can leave whenever you want (but we doubt you will 🙂 )
- You don’t have to show your driver’s license or other identification
- Get your electricity turned on the same day, not when the supplier has a break in their schedule
- You can use your government subsidies or assistance
- You always know exactly how much you’re paying
Prepaid energy plans are especially useful if you’re in the following situations:
- You’re in temporary housing
- You have a poor credit history
- You just moved to the area and don’t have a long-term, established address or payment history
- You’re a freelancer with a variable income
- You don’t want to be tied into a contract for any reason
- You’re helping someone else set up and pay for electricity
What to Ask When Choosing Prepaid Electricity with Pogo Energy
Since Texas deregulated its energy industry more than 10 years ago, hundreds of providers have stepped up to promise better, faster, cheaper energy delivery. It can be overwhelming looking through the many offers and promises you get. How do you choose the right one?
Always remember to look closely at any deal that sounds too good to be true. It probably is. Here are some questions to help you make the choice.
Does the company provide clean energy?
This is an important question. Many companies advertise that they provide clean energy, but when you read the fine print, you discover that the percentage of clean energy that they provide is very low. In many cases, it’s under 10%. That means 90% of what they’re delivering isn’t what they promised. Further, some companies make you pay an extra fee for clean energy!
Does the provider send you daily alerts about your energy use?
One of the benefits of using prepaid electricity is the ability to see exactly where you stand every day and every month. It’s how you avoid the BS (bill shock).
Does the company make you pay hidden service fees?
Some energy companies make you pay a reconnection fee if your service gets turned off and you want to start again. Some even charge you to speak with a customer service representative. Say goodbye to that BS when you sign up with Pogo!
You may also find surprise fees that weren’t disclosed to you when you signed up. These can be anything from an early termination fee to a minimum-use fee. Make sure you know exactly what you have to pay upfront and avoid monthly surprises.
Are their offers genuine or are they sneaky come-ons?
With hundreds of companies out there competing for your hard-earned money, you’re going to get a lot of sweet come-ons from providers. An offer may sound great until you see the details. For instance, plans that promise you free use on nights and weekends are often twice as expensive as other plans. Don’t be fooled by promises that these providers can’t keep.